Nan Desu Kan 2019 Artists Alley Online Packet
Aug 23- Aug 25, 2019
- Please print and read the entirety of this page. It contains important information about your Artists Alley table.
- The contract is four pages long. Be sure to sign and date where needed and fill out the information on the final page.
- Use PayPal to pay your fees for 2019’s Artists Alley Entry online
- If you are under the age of 18, you will need a parent or guardian to co-sign the contract.
We look forward to seeing you at Nan Desu Kan!
Sheraton Denver Downtown
1550 Court Place
Denver, Colorado 80202
Hours of Available Operation
Friday 23rd – 12pm to 10pm
Saturday 24th – 9am to 10pm
Sunday 25th – 9am to 5pm
Artist Alley Area Head: Jessica Keithline aka Yuki
Policies and Procedures Regulations
- All tables are 6 x 3 and will NOT be covered with a tablecloth. Artists or groups are limited to 2 tables. Each table comes with 2 chairs (for half table spaces this is 1 chair, if you need more please request it in the application).
- Electricity, and phone services are not included with the initial table cost and you will be charged onsite fees if found using these services without prior arrangements through the hotel. Basic power for charging a phone or powering a computer is free, anything more than that will cost you $140.
- Setup Time: Friday 10:00am; (could be earlier), Saturday and Sunday 8:00am Breakdown Time: Friday and Saturday 10:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm; Public Hours: see above (times are subject to change)
- You must purchase a convention pass. Artist Alley tables do not come with convention passes.
- Tables will be assigned on a Lottery basis.
- Artist Alley tables are only available to artists displaying or selling original artwork, fan art, original comic, doujinshi, and fanzines. The sale of videos and software, i.e. mass produced resale items etc., is not allowed from an Artists Alley table. The Artist Alley Area Head reserves the right to prohibit the sale of any merchandise or service that he/she feels is inappropriate.
- Artists must check in to the Artist Alley with government-issued photo IDs. Any artist unable to produce a valid photo ID by 10am on Saturday will have his or her table sold. The name on the photo ID must match the name on the artist application and con badge.
- The person who applied for the table must be the one to check in with AA staff. All group members should also stop at the table when they arrive at the convention.
- All artists and artist helpers MUST be registered and have a badge for NDK. Badges must be worn at all times while on the con floor.
Note: Anyone caught selling to someone without a badge will earn an automatic one year ban, more than one and you could be kicked out and earn a lifetime ban.
- Stolen or plagiarized work is strictly forbidden. All work must be entirely your own. Copying and attempting to sell any existing official or fan art, regardless of what medium it is copied into, is recognized as theft by the state of Colorado. Copying existing art and drawing in a different background or different colors is plagiarism and will not be tolerated. Artists are expected to sell their own art. This includes any and all art on buttons, badges, keychains, jewelry, and all other crafts. Any artists found to be plagiarizing will be asked ONCE to remove their copied artworks. If you persist in displaying or advertising plagiarized work, you will be asked to pack up and will be banned from future conventions. Art theft in the Artist Alley is akin to bootlegs in the Dealer’s Room, and will not be tolerated.
- Artists may not sell any kind of art or product with any kind of official logo.
- The name of a series and/or character CANNOT be included in any piece of art (of any kind), on any display, or any packaging; this goes for both English and Japanese. No art or packaging containing these names can be sold in Artists Alley, you will be asked once to remove them. The same goes for using said names on a display, you will be asked to change the display. Continued use could result in a lifetime ban.
- Products released officially either in the US or Japan cannot be sold in Artists Alley, the same goes for completed works done by someone else and bought by you. We want work from you, not someone else.
- Food and/or drink cannot be sold in Artists Alley.
- There is a strict 18+ rule in Artist Alley. We take this rule very seriously, and violating this rule will have serious consequences. Prohibited 18+ materials include: any kind of pornography or otherwise excessive sexuality (hentai, yaoi, yuri,) excessive gore, or excessive violence. If you are found to be carrying any sort of 18+ material, you will be warned to put it away. Further violations will result in a ban. The acceptability of any product is the sole discretion of the Artist Alley Area Head.
- There is a strict PG-13 rule in the Artist Alley. Artists are allowed to bring PG-13 material, but due to the family-friendly nature of the convention, it may not be openly displayed. Suggestive images, mild fanservice, artistic nudity, and the like, must be placed in closed binders or otherwise be hidden from public view. Verbal or written warnings MUST be given to anyone appearing younger than 13. If you are found to be displaying any sort of PG-13 art, you will be warned to take it down. If your PG-13 art is still displayed after two warnings, you will be asked to leave the convention and you will be banned from returning. If you have any questions about an image please ask with plenty of prior notice to the convention. The acceptability of any product is the sole discretion of the Artist Alley Area Head.
- All items for sale in Artist Alley must be approved by the Artist Alley Area Head before the convention. Having items on your table that have not been approved beforehand will result in a warning, and you could be asked to put the product away. This restriction goes for contest winners as well as lottery winners. We have a large number of people apply for the same type items every year, and because of this we have to limit their numbers in Artist Alley. If you are told that you cannot sell an item, please respect our request.
- Please inform us of any changes to your group as soon as possible. If you want to have someone join your table as an artist after registration has ended, email the Artist Alley Area Head with samples and information. Additions will be considered on a case by case basis. You can add helpers to your table without getting them approved, and they can help you, but they cannot sell any of their own products. If you have someone leave your group, just send a quick email notifying the Artist Alley Area Head. Adding people to sell without permission will result in all members being banned for a year. If the materials are inappropriate, all members will be asked to pack up leave. If the material is approved, the group may remain for the convention but will still be banned the following year.
- Please note that everyone in your group will be expected to follow the rules and every person in the group will be held accountable if the rules are broken.
- Under most circumstances artists would be unable to sell items made by someone else. However, as a special exemption to this rule, active military members may sign up with a group with prior permission. Please contact the Artists Alley Area Head for a special permission form. At signup put (active military) next to the group members name or you will be unable to apply for the form.
- Special permission to sell another person’s work can also be gained in cases like a collaborative art book, or groups where a member is suddenly unable to make it due to a death in the family, injury, or illness, but these permissions must be approved before the con itself. Guest Artists are allowed to have agents, anyone else found selling products for someone not approved and/or not attending the convention will be banned.
- If you have half a table of space that you will not be using then contact the Artist Alley Area Head and a new drawing will be set up to place another artist in the space, do not advertise or solicit for someone to fill the space. We have a long waitlist every year and will assign the space ourselves.
- If you change the name of your business, or change the products you are selling, please let us know! Email the Artist Alley Area Head, just in case this changes what kind of category you will be in (aka Art, Craft, or Mixed). If you change the name of the business and do not inform us, your name may be incorrect in our digital and printed program guides.
- Artists are expected to be open and available at their tables for as long as possible during daylight hours. We expect you to be at your table by 10am on Saturday and 11am on Sunday at the very latest. If something comes up or you know you won’t be able to make it for one of the days, please contact the Artist Alley Area Head as soon as possible. Please note that early closures for the Cosplay are acceptable.
- Artists who do not show by 10am on Saturday will have their space sold to other artists, and will not be welcome back. This is only for check in, not set up, if you checked in Friday you won’t lose your space because you set up at 10am.
- While we understand that the Artist Alley is a busy and noisy place, we require appropriate noise levels. No yelling, obscene language, or general horseplay will be allowed.
- Photography is not allowed in the Artist Alley. It is against our rules for you to take pictures of the prints and products for sale. It is also against the rules to photograph cosplayers in the Artist Alley, as it adds congestion to an already traffic-heavy area. If you feel the need to photograph someone, first move outside of the Artist Alley.
- Artists are free to arrange their table space as they see fit and may supply their own tables, racks and chairs at no additional cost, remember though that space is limited, if it moves into another artists space you will not be able to use it. However, NDK reserves the right to approve the setup including TVs, speakers, tables, etc. Also, staff is allowed to restrict what can be heard and viewed outside of your area.
- You will be ultimately responsible for your goods and staff as specified in the contract. There will be unrestricted access to the area by the general populace 24 hours a day. Artists will be responsible for clearing their tables at the close of each business day.
- Please submit the names of all artists and helpers as soon as pre-reg closes, this is so that we can pull the badges for your group members. This will allow you to pick them up at the Artist Alley check-in instead of having to go through the registration lines.
- When you check in make sure that you get a special sticker to put on your badge, this goes for your helpers as well. In case we have to evacuate the hotel or close down in an emergency, these stickers will get you back inside and let you into AA before the attendees are let back in. A sheet will also be given to each table at check in detailing what to do in case of an emergency evacuation.
If you have any questions, please contact the NDK Artist Alley Liaison at the email address above.